Friday, February 17, 2012

Love being Local- San Jose's Japan Town

Shiitake Mushroom, Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
 I have always been a proud bay area resident. I love living in California and could not see my self living anywhere else besides New York, my only exception. I have everything I need at arms length and just feel very lucky to be a product of the Silicon Valley. I recently moved back to the San Jose area and live in the heart of Japan town. I am really excited about all the changes that have happened over the years. New home developments, restaurants, a Japanese market and a cool new vibe.


I was feeling inspired by the cherry blossoms in the trees and decided to make it a themed dinner night with my girlfriends. We have quite a few Hawaiian inspired restaurants and stores popping up so I was able to pull up my famous Poke recipe from memory and take a quick 2 minute walk to Nijiya, the local Japanese market in JT's main drag. I found a beautiful piece of Tuna, about the size of an ice cream bar for about $11.00. This piece can easily feed 3-4 people as an appetizer. 

Sushi Grade Tuna
 My themed menu consisted of Hawaiian/Japanese inspired dishes. I also made a pitcher of Mango Soju cocktails that paired perfectly with our meal. I don't have a picture but will share my recipe. I usually start with the Poke appetizer first and prep all the veggies on one cutting board. As I complete the chopping, slicing, dicing I dump all the ingredients in to two separate bowls. One for the stir fry, one for poke. 20 minutes before getting started, soak your shiitake mushrooms in wam water and set aside. Also, get your Jasmine rice started in the cooker or pot. 

Poke Sushi Appetizer


Hawaiian Ahi Tune Poke - Serves 3-4

Ingredients list:
Fresh, Sushi grade Ahi Tuna
1 small garlic clove- minced
3-4 sliced green onions
1/2 tsp Sesame seeds for garnish
1 tsp Furikake rice seasoning (optional)
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Shoyu Soy Sauce or regular
1 tsp of Japanese chili powder or chili oil if available
1 tsp of Hawaiian sea salt or regular 
12 pieces of salted, Nori found at many asian markets and now in most grocery stores.

Start by cutting the tuna into thin slices across the grain. You will end up with sashimi like pieces. Cut the pieces into smaller bite sized cubes on the grain, very carefully with a sharp knife. I use a Wusthof Santoku. Once you are done slicing the tuna, add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and gently toss together. Give it a little taste and add more shoyu/soy or chili to your taste. Garnish with a sesame seeds and serve over crisp Nori or tortilla chips.


Shiitake Mushroom, Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry - Serves 3-4

Ingredients list:
2-3 Boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs or 2 small breasts
1 Bell Pepper, color of your choice
1/2 Package of Dried Shiitake mushrooms (about 12-16 mushrooms)
1/2 Sliced Yellow Onion
2 Small Zucchini Cut into bite sized rounds 
3-4 sliced green onions + part of the green ends for flavor
1 minced garlic clove
1 tsp Hawaiian or regular Sea Salt
2 tablespoons of Shoyu soy or regular soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Canola or EVOO

*optional side: Siracha sauce for a spicy flavor kick

Serve with Jasmine Rice - Start ahead of time!

While I prep and chop, I just throw everything into one big bowl. Once your mushrooms have taken their full shape, drain and squeeze out excess water. Slice into thin pieces and add to ingredients bowl. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients and toss into the bowl as you go. DO not add the Shoyu/Soy sauce just yet! 

Stir Fry in the Pan!
Heat Wok or in this case, I used my All-Clad multi purpose Fry pan (it's pretty big) instead of a wok. Heat oil until its VERY hot and toss your ingredients in. Give it a stir and let it cook for 3-4 minutes and repeat. Add some salt for flavor. Once everything is frying up nicely, add your soy sauce. You don't really need to add much salt because the soy sauce already has plenty. The flavors from the Shiitake mushrooms really over take this dish and give it a wonderful aroma. Once everything is nicely browned/caramelized and your chicken is cooked though prepare to serve. Give it a taste and add more salt OR Shoyu/Soy for flavor. 

Serve over jasmine rice and garnish with green onions. Serves 4.

Last but not least, the Mango Soju Cocktail!!

Ingredients list:
1 Glass Pitcher
1 Bottle of Korean Soju found at most Asian markets (Nijiya)
1 Bottle of Mango Calpico found at most Asian Markets (Nijiya)
3/4 Can of 7-Up

Mix all ingredients together in the pitcher and serve over ice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment